Re: USB gamepads

At 1031279082s since epoch (09/05/02 21:24:42 -0400 UTC), Robin wrote:
> I was wondering how I'd go about setting up a gravis gamepad to work
> with snes9x or xmame (or for controlling the cursor on screen...)

I have two gravis gamepads working with snes9x.  You have to use the
"joydev" and "joymap" arguments to find the joypads and map their
buttons to the equivalent keyboard keys.

I wrote a little wrapper script for myself so I don't have to type in
the mappings all the time.  Try this (works with the Gravis Gamepad
Pro -- other pads may require different mappings):

==== cut here ====

#!/bin/bash

# snes

# A wrapper script for snes9x that adds mappings for joysticks and
# common options so they don't have to be typed every time.

# define the joystick devices
JOY1=/dev/input/js0
JOY2=/dev/input/js1

# This mapping is the same as a default super nes, found at:
# http://www.resexcellence.com/index_archive/index_04-01d.shtml
MAP1="2 1 3 0 4 5 9 8"
MAP2="$MAP1"

# call the actual binary, passing the joystick args
# the '-y' enables 'hi-res' mode

snes9x -y -joydev1 $JOY1 -joymap1 $MAP1 -joydev2 $JOY2 -joymap2 $MAP2 "$@"

==== cut here ====

Best of luck,