Re: pppoe on Debian -- Modem hangup FIGURED OUT!

On Friday 30 August 2002 05:23 pm, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> > > You mean, when you deactivate ppp_on_boot (by moving or removing
> > > /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot) and reboot your system, the _exact_ same error
> > > (messages) occur?
> >
> > No, I don't deactivate ppp_on_boot. Here is what happens: If I turn on
> > DSL modem before Linux is booted I get error message:
> >
> > PADS: System-Error: No more sessions accepted on this connection
>
> Yes, because there is already a connection. If you disconnect with 'poff
> -a' you should be able to connect without unplugging your modem.

After a lot of experimenting I finally figured out what was the problem.
Actually it wasn't GNU/Linux issue at all. I have a dual boot machine and
apparently pppoe program for windoze does not disconnect before shutdown.
That leaves (Westel) modem busy, and when I boot Linux after that I cannot
disconnect or restart the DSL connection unless I reset modem by switching it
off. The solution is simple -- I just have to make sure that I disconnect DSL
before I shut down windoze. I want to thank Christian and everyone else who
helped me sort this out.

Slaven