Re: Can't find /usr/src/linux/..

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 12:08:59AM +0200, Joris wrote:
> for compiling your own kernel, i suggest 'the debian way' (tm)
>
> (as root)
> # apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18 kernel-package fakeroot
> (now login as normal user, after adding him to group 'src' by doing
> something like `adduser hjan src`)
> $ cd /usr/src
> $ tar -xvjf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
> $ ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux
> $ cd linux
> $ make xconfig
> $ fakeroot (time) make-kpkg --revision=hendrikjan.0.1 kernel_image
> $ make-kpkg clean

Why would one want to use fakeroot? I don't have that package
installed and have not used it for building kernels.

Since the deb-description says you don't need it if you don't know
what it does, I gambled and strayed from the Debian Way :).

Bob

p.s. hope this message is not malformed, had some problems with
entering text (putty to own machine).