Kernel hangs on sound module

Using the debian kernel image 2.4.18 (or 16, 17, etc) I try and insert the module for my sound card (es1371), the kernel hangs. No oops, no messages anywhere, other than a being told loading the module was a success. I have to press the reboot switch to get the machine going again.

I pulled out my es1371 sound card and turn onboard audio back on (via82cxxx_audio). When the module is inserted, the kernel hangs again. The last line I see is "ac97_codec : AC97 Audio Codec, ID : 0x4943:0x4511 (ICE1232)". No other modules are causing problems.

So I compiled my own 2.4.19 kernel and built via82cxxx_audio into the kernel. The kernel again hangs when it reaches the sound card.

This machine has been running woody for over a year without problems. When woody was released I installed a new HD and a clean new copy of woody. I think this problem happend then, but I rebooted and it went away. I've rebooted many times since then, same kernel, and never had this issue. Now it won't go away.

The only other symptom of a problem I have found is that if I tried and boot using the debian kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4, the kernel hangs when partition check appears on the screen. It seems like the partition check is finished, but it just hangs there.

The es1371 sound card is now working happily in another woody machine. My onboard sound card works fine if I boot into windows XP (XP is on a different HD).

Some information about my system is below. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Linux kurylo 2.4.18-k7 #1 Sun Apr 14 13:19:11 EST 2002 i686 unknown
Duron 900, 512 RAM, asus A7V motherboard
linux is on hda, windowsXP is on hde, and hdf is extra data
lspci says my sound card is 00:04.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)