Re: NFS locking issues

Hugo Graumann said:

> I have had problems with NFS file locking as well. Some parts
> of gnome like to use file locking, so with nfs mounted home
> directories the users could not really run gnome properly.

that would explain some other problems I had.. I was testing
my mom's GNOME profile and it flat out wouldn't load, same
OS rev(SuSE 8), now it loads fine after I restarted nfs-common

> the user nfs server. I guess the kernel you are running would
> need nfs built-in as well.

in my particular case I am using the nfs-kernel-server, the problem
seems to be in the rpc.statd service rather then the nfs service,
once I did /etc/init.d/nfs-common restart the problem immediately
corrected itself. now to figure out why statd is dieing(even though
it doesn't exit)

> 3) A gnome test is to start nautilus on the command line. It will spit
>   out a whole slew of error messages and then die if file locking isnt
>   working on the home directory of the user initiating nautilus.

I tried this and it didn't work, when locking is broken nautilus just
hangs forever for me(I only have nautilus on suse 8), once I restarted
nfs-common it started immediately.

this seems to be a common problem with very little information, I
tend to think it is probably software bugs in the nfs server in linux
(which is nothing new, historically linux has always had weak NFS
though it's gotten better in the past 2-3 years)

nate