Re: C++ shared libraries and C++ ABI (libqt.so)

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 04:43:11PM -0700, Craig Maloney wrote:
> Is there a standard way in debian to determine which version of g++ a
> c++ shared library was compiled with?

The easiest way I know of is to find the version of libstdc++ it's
linked to using 'ldd', map that filename back to the package it came
from with 'dpkg --search', and look at the Source: field in 'dpkg
--print-avail'.

> In particular, I'm trying to compile some qt examples:
> -----------------
> $ dpkg --search libqt.so
> libqt2: /usr/lib/libqt.so.2.3
> libqt2: /usr/lib/libqt.so.2
> libqt2: /usr/lib/libqt.so.2.3.1
> libqt-dev: /usr/lib/libqt.so
>
> my first thought was that the .2 was g++ 2.95, .2.3 was g++ 3.0, and
> .2.3.1 was g++ 3.1.

Look more carefully and you'll see that three of those are just symlinks
to the fourth.

Almost everything in Debian/i386 is g++ 2.95 right now. Other
architectures vary (for instance, hppa uses g++ 3.0). There is a plan to
move everything to g++ 3.2 relatively soon.