Re: dual boot win2k as boot loader

Well that is good to know that lilo can and backs up the org. MBR, but basically there seems no way to boot Debian with the WIN2k Boot loader. I don't have a problem with that but my friend may be leary.

Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

Hi Gents,

On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 the mental interface of ernst told:

Hi
I would just install debian, and configure lilo in MBR on hda. That would
not destroy windoze bootloader, just take controll over it:)

If you later want's to remove debian and lilo, you can just boot up with a
win98 boot/startupdisk and run "fdisk /mbr".
That's it.

Quenten is using W2K. There you have to boot the W2K CD in repair
modus and run fixmbr!

A better way is to restore the mbr within debian. In /etc/boot there
is a boot.0300. This is the backup mbr written by lilo the first
time installing lilo in /dev/hda. Running lilo -u /dev/hda (in that
case) will restore the mbr of w2k. After that linux can only be
booted via fd or cd and w2k is using the the internal bootloader!

[...]

HTH