Re: script to search ebay?

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:07:02AM -0500, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> Anyone have any idea how I can create a script that will search
> ebay and put the results in a text file?
>
> I thought of starting with links
>
> links http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll?MfcISAPI
> Command=GetResult&query=Fernandez
>
> but for some reason this puts links in the background and does not search.
> It just goes to the search page?

The ampersand character ('&') is taken by the shell to mean "put this
command in the background. Hence, you command as listed above is
equivalent to these two commands.

$ links http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll?MfcISAPI Command=GetResult &
$ query=Fernandez

which is probably not what you intended... As an interesting side
effect, you set the variable query to "Fernandez"...

Put single/double quotes around the whole thing:

$ links 'http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll?MfcISAPI Command=GetResult&query=Fernandez'

or escape out the special characters:

$ links http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll\?MfcISAPI\ Command=GetResult\&query=Fernandez

PS: I'm not sure about the space before the "Command="; I don't use ebay myself..
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com