Re: XFree breaks after Kernel update

Matthias Ellinger wrote:
Hi,

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 after reinstalling the Nvidia kernel & glx solved it, X starts!

However, now my USB Wheelmouse has stopped working under X (hotplug USB). ...

How can I fix that?

Thanks,

Depends on if you're running gpm or not. Do a "ps ax | grep [g]pm"; if it shows a line something like:

24967 ?        S      1:18 /usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/psaux -t imps2 -r 25 -Rraw

then, yes, you are running gpm. If not, you're not.

If you are running gpm, you need to configure gpm to properly recognize your mouse (it's probably on /dev/input/mice), and to repeat the mouse data as raw (run "gpmconfig" to configure gpm). You then need to configure X to look to /dev/gmpdata as the mouse port, and you need the protocol to be the same as gpm (probably "imps2" in gpm and "ImPS/2" in X). You'll also want to make sure the ZAxisMapping line is in your XF86Config-4 file in the same section that these other settings are in.

If you are not running gpm, you need to configure X to look to wherever your mouse port is (probably /dev/input/mice) and to use the correct protocol (probably "ImPS/2") and to use the ZAxisMapping.

These instructions are not entirely specific, because I don't know your specific setup, but hopefully they'll get you a bit closer.

Kent