Re: ppp won't dial out

On Friday 30 August 2002 07:50 pm, Jorge Santos wrote:
> Hello, the phone compay provides me with an answering machine of
> sorts, such that when I have a message the phone, instead of giving
> me the usual dial tone gives me something like a busy tone, well, it
> is broken now, and I got this busy tone at all times, it shouldn't be
> such big of a deal tho, because I can still dial out.
>
> Now, the problem is the modem refuses to dial out because it doesn't
> get a dial tone.  Any suggestions on how to make it dial out even
> when there's no dial tone?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jorge Santos

If you edit /etc/chatscripts/provider and look where the aborts are:

jas@golden:~$ more /etc/chatscripts/provider
# This chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.10.
# Please do not delete any of the comments.  Pppconfig needs them.
#
# ispauth PAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'
ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
# modeminit

You should be able to remove the 'NO DIALTONE' from the above.  Of
course this assumes you are using pon/poff.  I assume that other
dialers would have similar configurations.

John