Re: Fwd: Re: pppoe on Debian -- Modem hangup

On Friday 30 August 2002 04:44 pm, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> Am Freitag, 30. August 2002 15:54 schrieb Slaven Peles:
> > > Looks like you're automatically establishing a connection on startup.
> > > If yes there must be a /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot file? Is this the case?
> >
> > Yes, that's what I do. However, I find the same problem  when I start
> > connection manually with pon -- the modem has to be turned off until ppp
> > interface is brought up.
>
> You mean, when you deactivate ppp_on_boot (by moving or removing
> /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot) and reboot your system, the _exact_ same error
> (messages) occur?
>
> (cc me on reply - I'm currently offlist)

No, I don't deactivate ppp_on_boot. Here is what happens: If I turn on DSL
modem before Linux is booted I get error message:

PADS: System-Error: No more sessions accepted on this connection

and I have eth0 interface up and ppp0 down. If I want to get my DSL
connection working after that I have to bring down eth0 first, then turn off
the modem, then I type 'pon dsl-provider' and then I finally turn the modem
on again. After that both eth0 and ppp0 are up and connection works fine. If
I do the same thing without switching the modem off I cannot get connected,
and I get the same error message. I didn't edit manually any of the scripts
(other than pap and chap secrets) and I didn't remove any files.

Regards,
Slaven