Re: fetchmail won't run as the fetchmail user

Right,

fetchmailrc is..
-rw-------    1 fetchmai root          250 srp 28 09:44 /etc/fetchmailrc

with no fetchmail user and RUNASROOT=false I got ..

lynx:/etc/init.d# ./fetchmail start
./fetchmail: fetchmail user does not exist!

after having added one..
# adduser --system fetchmail
lynx:/etc/init.d# ./fetchmail start
Starting mail retrieval agent: fetchmail (failed!)

lynx:/etc/init.d# ./fetchmail debug-run
./fetchmail: Initiating debug run of system-wide fetchmail service...
./fetchmail: script will be run in debug mode, all output to forced to
./fetchmail: stdout. This is not enough to debug failures that only
./fetchmail: happen in daemon mode.
./fetchmail: You might want to direct output to a file, and tail -f it.
./fetchmail: WARNING: strace output may contain security-sensitive info,
such as./fetchmail: passwords; please clobber them before sending the
strace file to a
./fetchmail: public bug tracking system, such as Debian's.
./fetchmail: Stopping the service...
Stopping mail retrieval agent: system-wide fetchmail not running.
./fetchmail: exit status of service stop was: 0
./fetchmail: RUNUSER is fetchmail
./fetchmail: OPTIONS would be --daemon 300 --syslog -f /etc/fetchmailrc
-i /var/mail/.fetchmail-UIDL-cache
./fetchmail: Starting service in nodetach mode, hit ^C (SIGINT/intr) to
finish run...
./fetchmail: End of service run. Exit status was: 1

Curriously enough, fetchmail user was not created by an install script
(debconf)

Cheers,
Thomas