Re: Sundance vs. VT8233A; 2.2 vs. 2.4

This one time, at band camp, Colonelkorn said:
> So my question is which problem do I tackle?  The NIC not working in 2.2
> idepci or the VIA southbridge in 2.4?  I'd really appreciate any help
> the list can offer.

I'd say stay with the newer kernel, if it's detecting the NIC for you -
I would roll your own kernel to deal with the disk slowdown.  There's a
couple options in the kernel config for dealing with DMA, and they seem
to do the trick.  I'm using a VIA chipset board with a Maxtor drive
here, no hdparm tweakig, and I get:

gashuffer:# hdparm -t -T /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.76 seconds =168.42 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.59 seconds = 40.25 MB/sec

The relevant options are:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

in your kernel config.  If you're not familiar with rolling your own
kernel, there are a number of good howto's online, and debian uses
kernel-package for it - there are also a number of good howto's
available.  I hear that takes all the work out of it, but I haven't
converted to that yet.

HTH,
Steve
--
He that bringeth a present, findeth the door open.
		-- Scottish proverb.