How to recreate /dev/ttyS0

Hello,

in my quest to boot graphically using xdm, I managed to mess with
/dev/ttyS0 ( my mouse port ),
Mouse was hung while booting with xdm, so did ls -l /dev/mouse it was
pointing to /dev/ttyS3, so tried to recreate symlink to /dev/ttyS0 (
where my mouse is ) but instead of doing ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse;
I did
ln -s /dev/mouse /dev/ttyS0  & trouble began. Then tried ln -sf
/dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse, but no use. On startx it said canot open mouse
No such file.

So decied to delete /dev/ttyS0, now pls tell me how to recreate
/dev/ttyS0 ? Is it done like this - mknod /dev/ttyS0 c major minor ?

But I am stuck here; what are these major & minor numbers ?

Pls cc me the replys, I am not able to follow the list.
I am running deb 2.2 r5

Sachin
cusring myself for the mess that I got myself into.