Re: evolution, problem loading .pngs (v1.08-4)

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:46:55PM -0700, Blake Barnett wrote:
> According to the changelog this release of the package should deal with
> .png files.  The bug #157329 is closed, yet at this very moment I'm
> typing this email in a broken evolution.  So is this bug fixed or not?
>
> Or is this a bug with GTK?  Apparently the problem is with the GTK
> themes and not the evolution icons, etc.  But evolution still reports
> the following errors on startup:
>
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.1
> libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

It's a GTK error, and it has existed since a late release of 1.0.7.
There are several bugs in the debian bug tracker against the package.

Basically, the maintainer compiled evolution using libpng3 -- but gnome
1.x apps (and evolution is still considered one) are supposed to be
compiled against libpng2. Evolution makes calls to the libpng in use by
gtk 1.2 (libpng2 -- 1.0.12 in the warning above), but needs the libpng
from gtk 2.x (libpng3) as that was what it was compiled against.

You'll only really see the error if you're using GTK themes that use the
pixmap or pixbuf theme engines. It threw my display to hell and gone.

The only remedy I was able to find was to grab the evolution, libcamel0,
and libpisock4 packages from testing and install them. And in the
meantime, I'm learning me mutt!

--Matthew