Re: debian on cluster

Ulrich Kerzel <kerzel@ekp.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de> [2002-08-28 10:27:53 +0200]:
> 	we are considering installing Debian on a cluster of 30 or so linux-boxes.
> One striking argument would be to have updates done via apt automatically.
>
> Our idea is that one machine (the administrator's box) would be the master, i.e. all packages
> are downloaded from this machine and installed using apt. Then the newly downloaded
> packages would be moved to our local mirror using the apt-move tool. All other machines would
> be the slaves automatically installing the newly available package from the local mirror.

I have previously set up and currently maintain something very similar
to this on a large network of machines using autorpm in almost exactly
they way you propose.  In order to update the network of machines I
add a new package to the distribution directory and then when the
machines pull the update everything is updated automatically.  Since
the packages are screened they behave predictably and reliably.  It
works very well and I highly recommend it.

If you are interested in this type of discussion then you might want
to read the following reference paper on infrastructures and perhaps
browse the mailing list.  There is really good stuff here.

  http://www.infrastructures.org/
  http://www.infrastructures.org/papers/bootstrap/bootstrap.html

> My question is therefore, how to do this efficiently?
> I was thinking of putting the local mirror in /etc/apt/sources.list and having some
> cron-job doing apt-get update/install.

Be sure to look at apt-cron which does the safe parts out of the box
and can be configured to do the rest automatically too.

> But: How to tell the slaves that a package should be installed which hasn't been istalled previously?
>      How to deal with the situation that debconf sometimes requires some user-interaction? Can
>          the slave somehow get the configuration from the master?

I have been asking myself that same question.  Note that I am
currently using autorpm/rpm which by policy requires installs to be
non-interactive.  Also, I am not using this on x86 but rather on hppa
and so most of those rpm packages are my own ports and I follow that
policy.  Therefore it fits this model well.  But as a good Debian
convert I am converting machines over to Debian.  But I am stuck on
that problem as well.  Debian was not designed with mass deployment in
mind but instead with interactive, customized installation.  Therefore
this is a problem area for Debian.  But I believe it can be overcome.
The benefits outweigh the problems.

I had been thinking of 'dpkg --get-selections > pkg-list' then
distributing that list then 'dpkg --set-selections < pkg-list' to the
remote machines where 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' would always keep
machines in sync.  However that is bad if any of the machines are to
be customized such as a desktop.  Therefore I will probably just keep
a master list of top level packages which I want to install and will
distribute that and then 'apt-get install $(<pkg-list)' on the
machines.  That will add to the installation without disturbing other
pkgs on the machine.  I have also considered a local meta package with
which I can maintain dependencies.

Probably because of the pre-screening of packages I can eliminate any
that require user interaction.  Most packages will avoid interaction
if the configuration file already exists.  Therefore you can install
the config files first and the package second as part of the
infrastructure.  The seperation of configuration from package
installation via debconf helps tremendously in this regard but not all
packages have been converted to debconf yet.

I do not believe examples which fully exploit this capability for
debian exist at this time.  Some have proposed things which I disagree
completely solve this problem.  Ajnd I hope to be proved wrong by
other followups to this posting.  I am definitely interested in your
experiences in this area.

Please in the future could you word wrap your messages at some
reasonable column such as column 65 or 72 or some such which is less
than 80 and still leaves room for quoting.  Otherwise reading your
messages in a standard size terminal is very difficult.  BTW this is
stated as part of the expected code of conduct for mailing lists.