Re: XMMS and the new MP3 patent terms

"Chris Hilts" <chilts@birdbrained.org> writes:

>> The patent bureaus of various countries? If that is so
>> we should look at attacking software patent holders
>> there, by arguing that their fees are too high and
>> stiffle software freedoms.
>
> Which is better done (IMNSHO) by using free alternatives, not by buying up
> a bunch of patents and then refusing to license them.

There is absolutely no way you can be sure that *any* free seoftware
project is not somewhere hindered by a submarine sleeping patent.

The very concept of debian, or apt, or any other core technology or
idea in debian might be patented without we knowing it. Using free
alternative is not a way around software patents, cause you can't know
if a software is free or not. Software patents (as well as a bunch of
other types) must be fought at all cost.

My 0.02 €, coming from a continent where sofware patents might become
a reality dysfunction.
--
Rémi