Re: Why replies are often sent to sender - was Re: KDE freezing

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 06:17, Barney Wrightson wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > P.S. Why do people insist on sending duplicate emails via CC: when it's
> > obvious we are all subscribed to this mailing list anyway? As if there
> > isn't enough spam already?
> > -
> > Davis's Dictum:
> > 	Problems that go away by themselves, come back by themselves.
> >

> It's probably because by default reply-to is to the sender and not the
> list, I rememeber a debate about this on the list a while ago, but I
> can't remember why it was decided that this is a "Good Thing". I would
> have thought, if the policy was to reply to the list only (unless asked)
> then that hitting reply should give you this behaviour by default. <shrugs>

There are several *good* reasons for this as other have pointed out. If
you have procmail or anything like that, you can easily filter out
duplicates (which is what I do). For this interested, procmail recipe
is,

:0 Whc: msgid.lock
| formail -D 16384 msgid.cache

:0 a:
.duplicates/

16384 is the amount of space reserved for previous message-id's, you can
probably reduce it to 8k with no probs. Once you are comfortable that
the recipe works, you can replace .duplicates/ with /dev/null.

Also .duplicates/ because I am using maildir, for mbox, its just
.duplicates.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            26/3 Annandale Street   Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4AN       Web: www.urbyte.com