Re: Help with hdparm

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 18:53, Bob Proulx wrote:
> MKolb@haitec.de <MKolb@haitec.de> [2002-08-27 15:24:36 +0200]:
> > On 27.08.2002 14:35:38 chainy wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 27 August 2002 09:49, Bob Proulx wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I ask, too ! ;o)
> > I have a SD-11 with a Maxtor 40 GB HD, too.
> > The newest BIOS for this board.
> > Never got more than between 10 and 12 MB/s at buffered disk reads.
>
> I imagine that many things could affect the transfer speed.  One is
> that I have a slightly faster CPU (classic slot-A 950MHz with 512kb
> cache) versus the 500MHz previously posted.  I have 512MB of CL2 PC133
> memory installed.  Note that this motherboard can use PC133 but only
> runs at PC100 speeds IIRC.  Also, I expect that different disk drive
> controllers will perform differently.  This is an older SD11
> motherboard but I have updated IIRC to 611(?) BIOS some time ago.
>
> I believe the biggest lever is the newer drivers with the 2.4 kernel.
> What kernel are you running?  If you are still running something older
> then I would advise updating to 2.4.18 which has been a good version.
>
> Bob

Thanks again for the info Bob, I am also running a 2.4.18 kernel that i
configured myself.

In my case i don't think the processor or memory are involved too much
because the results are very different.  It is also curious that i cannot
activate the udma in any level.

Maybe this is asking you too much but could you tel me what chipset options
do you have in your kernel?

Thanks a lot.

Chainy.