Re: Simple editor for LaTeX editing

Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> writes:
> I'm looking for a good editor for a person that is not so used to
> computers, so somthing other than Emacs and vim. The editor will be used
> for writing LaTeX documents so it is nice if it can be programmed. I
> mean if you can make macros that are accessible as shortcuts or from
> menu etc. I have looked at gxedit, but this looks to be HTML spesific
> only.

I actually would go ahead and recommend Emacs with AUC-TeX (or XEmacs)
for this.  Emacs is pretty straightforward for beginners to use as a
simple text editor; you need to learn commands like C-x C-s to save a
file and C-x C-f to open one, or you can use the menu.  If you have
AUC-TeX set up correctly and you're editing a LaTeX file, C-c C-c will
do "the next obvious thing", which is usually "run latex" or "run
xdvi".  Emacs is also insanely extensible (with Lisp).

("So, David, what editor do *you* use?"  I use XEmacs for reading mail
[in Gnus], editing code, and writing LaTeX/SGML/XML files, and vi or
vim or ed for everything else.  Emacs is really big and klunky for
one-off things ["I need to edit /etc/resolv.conf, let's boot another
operating system..."], but if I'm going to spend a lot of time doing
something it has nice features like sane tabbing and syntax
highlighting.)

	-- Abra Mitchell