Weirdness:StealthIII S540, xfree86, savage driver

Hi all,
I just tossed a StealthIII S540 agp into my pc, and recompiled the kernel for agp support. The only xserver that seems to work is the savage driver. It starts fine and I can run gnome, etc flawlessly. The problem is that it hangs if I either try to log out or if I use ctrl-alt-F1 to open a new terminal. I get a black screen and the system locks up. I'm running sarge, and used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to set things up. The only error that I have, towards the beginning of /var/log/XFree86.0.log is
(WW) Can't open APM
since I don't have power management set up in the kernel. Is there an APM feature that I should install in the kernel, or is there some way to disable APM in XFree86 (or is this unrelated to the hangup?) also towards the end I get a comment without a warning:
Do I need RAC? No, I don't
I did not install DRI in the kernel or in xfree86.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if the entire log and XF86Config-4 would be helpful.
Thanks,
Glen