Re: Ext3?

Josh Rehman wrote:

1 - WHY don't the Debian powers-that-be consider the 2.4 kernel 'mature
enough' for Debian 3.0?
2 - HOW can I install Debian 3.0 with a 2.4 kernel and an ext3
filesystem?

The last time i used Woody install CDs the installer asked me wether i want to use ext2, ext3 or reiserfs ... I installed with reiser and everything was OK. I think you only get asked about the filesystem if you select to install with the bf2.4 kernel at boot.

BTW: compiling and installing a new kernel is realy very much an automated process, all you do is enter some commands. The only tricky part is the make menuconfig step, where you need to know what you want to compile into the kernel. The first time i did it i misconfigured it, of course (being stubborn: no, i don't wanna stick to the defaults) but after a few tries it was ok. Once you compile a kernel properly it's very hard to make a mistake again, it's realy simple.