Re: Local Net - delays in telnet login

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 11:01:42AM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> I have build a new machine (Athlon XP1700, 2GB memory) and have
> connected it to my old P-133 box with ethernet.  I have assigned the
> new box the address 192.168.0.1 and the old one 192.168.0.2.  I can
> ping either machine from the other with 0.1 ms average round trip
> time.
>
> When I telnet from one box to the other, there is a 55-60 sec wait
> until
>           Trying 192.168.0.2...
>           Connected to bobspc.estar.net.
>           Escape character is '^]'.
> is displayed.  There is another 55-60 sec delay until
>           Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 bobspc
>           bobspc login:
> appears.  After I login, there is no noticeable delay in executing
> commands.
>
> What can be the cause of this delay, and how can I prevent it?  Both
> machines are running up to date woody, and have identical
> installations, except that the kernel on the new box has been compiled
> for the K7 processor.  /usr/bin/telnet is linked to
> /usr/bin/telnet.netkit, from telnet 0.17-18.

Are you using ppp to connect to the internet? and are you using diald to
start ppp? If so, try an experiment: turn off diald by running as root:
/etc/init.d/diald stop
With diald stopped, is there still a delay? If not you are probably
experiencing the same problem that I am experiencing. I don't know the
solution, but if we keep in touch ...

Paul

--
Paul E Condon