Re: Installing same set of packages on more then one machine?

Charlie Grosvenor <charliemail@cgrosvenor.co.uk> [2002-08-25 09:39:37 +0100]:
> 	Is there anyway of extracting the list of packages installed on
> a machine in a format that you can then easily go and install all the
> packages on another machine? If it is possible to extract the list how
> can I get the other machine to install the packages on the list?

This is becoming an FAQ.  In the last few days this seems to be
something that everyone is asking about.  The general answer has been
something similar to this.

  dpkg --get-selections > packagelist

  dpkg --set-selections < packagelist

  apt-get --dselect-upgrade

And then to answer further quesions about more general installation on
many machines I will paste from Christian Heimke who just wrote the
following which summarized many others (myself included).

> - FAI
>   - http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
> - System Imager
>   - http://systemimager.org/