Re: Debian Install

> Ymir wrote:
> > On that note, what's the difference between /etc/nsswitch.conf's host
> > section and /etc/host.conf's order section? Both of them seem to do the
> > same...

Yes.  I believe hosts.conf is a bind resolver library specific file.
While nsswitch.conf is a Sun file which covers more services.  Most
people configure with nsswitch.conf today and I believe that is now
the ad-hoc standard.

Russell <rjshaw@iprimus.com.au> [2002-08-24 21:21:38 +1000]:
> I hadn't noticed that overlap. /etc/host.conf might even be
> redundant and unused. Something else that seems unused is
> /etc/networks, which seems to be replaced by /etc/networking/interfaces.

I am fuzzy on /etc/networks.  But IIRC it is part of the Sun
networking configuration where you can identify different networks by
name.  It really is not very useful today.  I think you get it if you
install NIS/YP or other related packages.  On a box without those then
those would not get installed.

Bob