Re: dselect ignorance - THANK YOU

All the answers have been very reassuring  -  until now I have been happy using apt and dpkg but had a nagging feeling that I was missing something if I did not master and use dselect.  The nagging feeling is gone now.

I particularly like Jeremy Nickurak's logical approach but, as noted, I still
have to puzzle out his script.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:15:10PM -0600, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 10:52, Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> > Otherwise, my question is this: If I find an xxx.deb package at some
> > site other than the debian stable distribution and wish to use it how
> > should I proceed?  Download it?  Put it where?  Simply run dpkg install
> > xxx.deb?  Edit sources.list and use apt-get install xxx.deb?  Or is
> > dselect the preferred method to best manage dependencies?  If dselect is
> > best, do I somehow bypass the many location questions?
>
> The basic solution is: dpkg -i <package file>. That'll install the
> package completely, provided that all the dependancies have been worked
> out beforehand. This does not however get you the ability to
> automatically install this package and its dependancies as needed. Also,
> if the package ever gets uninstalled, you'll have to find the package
> file again to reinstall it. This to me works out to be fairly
> inconvienient, especially because I work on a system with several
> administrators, all of whom would like to install packages.
>
> Instead, I use a local repository, with an additional apt source. To
> follow my approach:
>
> 1) Create a directory where you'll keep your package files. I use
> /usr/local/debian (it just seems to make sense).
> 2) Place in that directory, this script:
> http://rifetech.com/~atrus/refresh

I don't understand this script - are you calling yourself?