Re: Gnome problem

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 10:58, aparra wrote:
> Hello,
>

>  I have installed debian and using gnome. But I can't get icons on the
> desktop (Trash, etc.) why??
>
> ------------------------
>  The process I have runing are:
[snip]
> ------------------------
The desktop is drawn by either nautilus or gmc, I believe that nautilus
is considered the default even for gnome 1.4 (nautilus pre gnome2 is
widely acknowledged to be very buggy though) so install one of those.

> And other problem is that even I have installed Realplayer I can't use
> radio, the one provided by netscape.

not quite sure what you mean. actually, I have no idea what you mean.
details?

> Ant my last problem (I hope). How to solve conflicts between gnome sound
> server and other programs (realplayer, play, ...)?

I believe that alsa allows multiple apps to access /dev/dsp
simultaneously but I'm not sure. esd (gnome sound server) has an option
-as that allows you to put the sound server to sleep after a certain
number of seconds, but there does not appear to be anyway to make gnome
use this option (if someone knows how, I would love to know too). Your
other choice is to kill esd after gnome starts and restart it manually
using the -as option.

> PD: Please answer with CC to my address, I am not a subscriber of the list

ok, but just this once ;)