----- Forwarded message from John Latham <jtl@cs.man.ac.uk> -----
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:00:12 +0100

I had similar problems with 2.4.6 as distributed by Red Hat 7.3, and with
2.4.8 when I compiled it myself with the multi-byte option. I ended up
concluding that multi-byte is flakey on the 2.4 series when used with a
non-posix locale, and that Red Hat had been a bit naughty to enable it in
their distro. It all seems fine in 2.5. Nobody on this list confirmed that
summary.

Perhaps Debian has enabled it too?

Two fixes are:

	Recompile without the -enable-multi-byte option.

Or, of you want to use a pre-compiled dodgey 2.4 binary:

	Right near the start of your config file, insert:

		SetEnv LANG C
		SetEnv LC_CTYPE ""

Good luck.

Best wishes, John Latham

P.s. I have been using FVWM 2.5.2 every day since early July, and it has been
very stable.... I'me even thinking of using it here for our 700+ linux users!

----- End forwarded message -----