Re: dselect ignorance

On Friday 23 August 2002 18:52, Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> Otherwise, my question is this: If I find an xxx.deb package at some
> site other than the debian stable distribution and wish to use it how
> should I proceed?  Download it?  Put it where?  Simply run dpkg install
> xxx.deb?  Edit sources.list and use apt-get install xxx.deb?  Or is
> dselect the preferred method to best manage dependencies?  If dselect is
> best, do I somehow bypass the many location questions?

Today dselect is only a frontend to apt. You can only use packages there wich
are avalible for apt, that are normally the packages for you distri. The list
of data sources is hold in "/etc/apt/sources.list".

If you want to install a "pirat" deb file (and you normally don't want that)
then download, after that install it with "dpkg -i <deb-file>".

If you want just some new stuff like KDE3 or X 4.2 wich is even not included
in the unstable distri (wich you can add in sources.list) then search some
unofficial places wich hold debs for that and include the place into the
sources.list file. Cause everything what in that file can be managed through
apt and that very good for you. Often there are debs in the home dirs of the
maintainer of the debs who has the newest versions but has not checked them
into the main distribution.

One last thing. Try to reduce the use of dselect as much as possible... If you
just want to install a new package the just type "apt-get install
<packagename>".

As everytime in advise to read the man pages of the above mentioned programs
and files.

cheers,
Raffaele
--