Re: dselect BUGS

On  0, Aurelio Turco <a.turco@bom.gov.au> wrote:
> In man dselect, section BUGS, it says:
>
>   dselect  doesn't handle "Recommends:"
>   field very well, and doesn't understand
>   "Replaces:" at all.
>
> Can anyone elaborate on any of this, so that
> one knows what to look-out for and possibly
> rectify, when using dselect?
>
> In regards to the "Recommends:" part, the
> meaning may be simply that, unlike apt-get,
> dselect brings-in "recommended" packages by
> default. But this is hardly a bug (if not
> actually the better action in most cases),
> i would have thought.

dselect treats Recommends: identically to Requires:, which is
significantly different from just bringing in recommended packages by
default; if you are using dselect then you *must* install the
recommended packages.  Otherwise dselect will consistantly bombard you
with dependency problems until you give up and just use apt.

As for not understanding Replaces:, I am not sure exactly what is
meant by it, but it sounds like you can have two packages providing
the same functionality without dselect complaining - even if they
contain files with the same path/name.  The default should be that
dselect will uninstall the replaced packages when you select the
replacing packages.  Otherwise apt/dpkg will compain horribly when it
comes to actually installing stuff that two packages provide the same
file, and slowly your dselect experience will become a dependency
nightmare.

I have discarded dselect for everyday use because of the recommends:
problem; if I apt-get a package and don't install its recommends:
packages, then dselect complains about it every time I start it up.

I use dselect to install a very basic system, then use apt-get
everytime I want an uninstalled package.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au