Re: ttyS04 - How do I get rid of it?

> Upgraded from potato to woody and from kernel-source-2.2.19 to
> kernel-source-2.4.18.
>
> Built the new kernel and booted up successfully.  Couldn't go on line.
>
> dmesg reported ttyS04 using port 0xe800 and irq 11.  My modem is on com4
> (ttyS2) and requires these settings.  Setserial wont allow this as it
> finds port 0xe800 already assigned.  However, there is no ttyS04 in /dev
> or anywhere else (at least locate can't find it) so I have been unable
> to remove it and free up port 0xe800.
>
> I would appreciate any help with this problem.  Fortunately I have to
> computers so I can post this message.
>
> PS My upgrade has been rough (sloppy?) but that is another subject.
> Still I don't rule that out as the source of the problem.

I switched from Mandrake to Debian a few weeks ago and had what sounds
like a similar problem. I'm guessing that in /dev, you have ttyS[0-3]
but no ttyS4. Despite the fact that there is no file for
/dev/ttyS4, the
port is nonetheless assigned with those settings, and you cannot assign
any port with those settings as long as ttyS4 has those settings.

How do you remove those settings from ttyS4?
You need to create a device file for /dev/ttyS4 (major,minor)=(4,68)
In a startup script of some sort, you need to change the settings on
/dev/ttyS4 and then also on /dev/ttyS3 (the one you want the modem on)

At this point, it's easier to just mknod the device file and accept that
your modem is on /dev/ttyS4.

*** Note that "ttyS4" is the common name for the device file that you
make with mknod. No matter what name you choose for the device file, the
kernel will still say in its logs that the device is "ttyS04", but you
will be properly able to access the device using the file you created
with mknod.