Re: Nobody can help me !? Re: libcrypto (OpenSSL) installed in Woody but not upgraded... !?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:24:24AM -0300, armando@hadrion.com.br wrote:
> Only a question: Woody already is stable, correct ? Then what is the
> difference between stable and woody in source.list ? ;)

Conceptual. You have a choice between following a release type (stable,
testing, unstable) or an actual release (woody, sarge, sid). At the
moment there is no real difference between stable and woody and testing
and sarge (sid is -always- unstable) but the crucial difference takes
place when the releases change types. If you follow stable, you'll
-always- get stable, regardless of what the actual release is. If you
follow sarge though, you'll start with testing and then the time comes,
swap to stable automatically as sarge changes from being a testing
release to an actual stable release.

To use a possibly broken analogy, think of cars on a highway. The lanes
are stable, testing and unstable while the cars are woody, sarge and
sid. You can either follow a lane jumping cars automatically as a new
one gets in the lane, or follow a car as it goes from lane to lane.

All that though probably made zero sense but it was fun to type. :)

--
   "There was a moo from under the blanket, and I knew it was not a person,
   but a calf."