Re: SOLVED: Strange X behavior

Thanks for the suggestions of Geoff and Okidz.

The report on no ptys available was in the output of the X server when
I closed it. The permissions of /tmp were OK, but when I looked at the
permission of /dev/pty*, it was writable only by root, whereas, on my
other machine I found that all had write permission. So I changed
permissions and everything is working OK.

The problem started I guess because I transferred a system from one
partition to another. I used cp, but I guess I forgot to use cp -a
to preserve permissions. I won't make that mistake again!

Thanks once again.

Sebastian.