Re: build-source make question

"justin cunningham" <justincunningham@directvinternet.com> writes:
> I'm applying multiple patches to a apt src install and was getting
> detecting reverse patches error so I ran build a few times trying to get
> it right and just wanted to confirm I didn't need an apt make clean
> equivalent between rebuilding the same package with apt-get -b source
> package.

Huh?  "That's not what APT is there for."  If you're going to be
hacking around on the source, 'apt-get source' is a useful tool for
getting the upstream tarball and Debian diff and running 'dpkg-source
-x' for you.  But then you want to use the standard tools to actually
build it; 'debian/rules binary' with (fake) root privileges, or
'debuild' out of the devscripts package, for example.

There's a list of documents on http://www.debian.org/devel/ that are
worth reading; of note, the Policy Manual and the Developer's
Reference explain the sorts of things you might see in source trees
and good ways to build things.

(In answer to your actual question: (1) it's possible that the Debian
diff actually contains the patch you're trying to apply; examine the
.diff.gz file to see.  (2) You need to run 'debian/rules clean'
(again, with 'root' privileges) under pretty much the same
circumstances you'd need to run 'make clean' normally; it's a good
idea if you want a "pristine" build.)

	-- Abra Mitchell