Re: /etc/network/interfaces

"David N. Welton" wrote:

> So, I've had it with dicking around with this poorly documented thing
> (not to mention its contributions to the 'lots of little languages'
> problem), and am going to break down and ask for help.
>
> What is wrong with the following?
>
> mapping eth0
>         script /root/bin/eth0mapping.tcl
>         map home home
>         map company eth0-company
>
> iface eth0-company inet static
>         address 216.1.2.3
>         netmask 255.255.254.0
>         gateway 216.1.2.1
>
> (numbers changed to protect the innocent).  The Tcl script never even
> gets run.
>
> Any ideas?  Anything else that I should be using instead with my laptop?

Have you tried the basics first? Mapping is only needed if you want
to switch between multiple networking configurations, which i haven't
used. My interfaces is:

  auto lo eth0

  iface lo inet loopback

  iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.3
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1

Do 'ifconfig' to show the status of your interfaces.
You should do '/etc/init.d/networking restart' to get
the new file read. IIRC, auto command does 'ifconfig' at
a lower level, and iface does 'route add'.

Other files to fill in manually are: /etc/hosts, /etc/host.conf,
/etc/hostname, /etc/networks, /etc/resolve.conf.
/etc/nsswitch.conf is used, but the default is usually ok.