setedit; thanks!

My thanks to all the people who responded to "Text editors: can't teach
an old pigeon new tricks". I have just installed setedit and it rocks:
an excellent Borland clone. Alt-keys and Wordstar keys both work.
Ctrl-F9 runs make. Function library help Borland-style. Excellent!

It may help other people trying it if I pass on my installation problems
& solutions:

- You need the latest versions of the tvision and rhide sources as well,
both from sourceforge.net. rhide (which my mental spellchecker insists
on reading as "Rawhide", illustrated with clips from The Blues Brothers)
looks as if it is an even closer Borland clone with the debugging
features etc. but I have yet to install it (see below).

- My machine was loaded from a single-CD Debian distribution (I didn't
know about the single- and multi-CD distros at the time) and appears to
lack header files and source code for some of the libraries, in
particular international support and gpm. This confuses the configure
script; it turns mouse support off but leaves international support on,
and the compiler doesn't like it. Quick solution: manually disable
international support. Proper solution: install library source. I have
yet to do this and so can't install RHIDE yet. (Which wants gdb 4.18
source as well.)

- File doedidia.cc: macro GetStrStream is called as GetStrStream(buf)
(many times), but the macro is defined as GetStrStream(os, buf). The
function calling GetStrStream has an appropriate os defined, so I
altered all the calls to GetStrStream(os, buf) and it worked.

- File tedcolle.cc: in line 508,
p->editor->MakeBkpForIt(p->editor->fileName) should be
(p->editor->MakeBkpForIt)(p->editor->fileName).

- If you don't have tetex installed pull makeinfo (and its man page!)
out of the .deb with ar.

Some of this may of course be less hassle if your Debian box is online.
I can only get online from Windoze due to lack of Linux GSM modem
drivers. I know other people on this list also get online from Windoze,
so please forgive me for an OT tip:
Downloading from sourceforge.net with Netscape & Getright: Getright
barfs on the mirror selection page cos it is an html file with a .gz or
.zip extension (AARGH!). So instead of left-clicking on the link,
SHIFT-RIGHT-click on it, HOLDING SHIFT DOWN select "Open in new window",
click on your desired mirror & Getright is happy.

Thanks again,

Pigeon