Re: Woody: Making apt-get follow recommendations & suggestions

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 09:21, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 12:35:23PM +0200, Holger Rauch wrote:
> > When installing a kernel-source-<version> package on a newly installed
> > system using apt-get, I realized that only dependencies are taken into
> > account, but not recommendations and/or suggestions. Especially when
> > installing a kernel-source package, however, it would be nice to get
> > everything required for compiling a kernel at once (meaning without the
> > need to look for additional packages).
> >
> > So, my question is: How can I make apt-get follow recommendations and/or
> > suggestions? If this is not possible, is using aptitude a possible
> > solution?
>
> apt-get was never designed for this sort of thing - it's not a full
> frontend. I understand aptitude does indeed take recommendations and
> suggestions into account.

Not entirely true.  apt-get does have an interface to dselect so that it
can use dselect to upgrade all your packages and install recommends or
suggests.  Use:
apt-get dselect-upgrade
and man apt-get for a slightly better explanation(I think)

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."