Re: newbie: can't use scsi tape drive with woody 3.0

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 03:44:47PM +0100, Aldon Rubinstein wrote:
> I have a dlt tape drive connected to an Adaptec 29160
> SCSI card.
>
> I cannot run the following command:
>
> # tar -cvf /dev/st0 /home
>
> I get an error message saying: "/dev/st0: Cannot open:
> No such device"

Have you got basic SCSI and the necessary drivers installed?

First run lspci and see if your SCSI adapter is there.

Then cat /proc/scsi/scsi and see if your tape drive is recognized.

You can also look at the boot messages in /var/log/messages and
see if the SCSI stuff started OK.  If not you need to look at the
kernal configuration, and or the modules.

--
Don Reid    Agilent - Imaging Electronics Div. -  Corvallis, OR
Don_Reid@agilent.com      738-3726