dhcp and dhcp(d) Woody

    Greetings:

I am a little puzzled about how to use dhcpd and dhcp.  I have a small
firewall/gateway connected to the net.  This box uses dhcp to gain IPaddress
and dns IP's.  Basically, it just works on eth0.

Next, I decided it would be really great if I could also have my little
gateway issue IP's to guests on my LAN (to save time setting up networks) on
eth1.  I get old computers, and I like to install basic Debian stable on them
and give them away.  Now I have a new(er) laptop and I would like to set it
up for dhcp too so I can use it at school and home.

So I installed dhcpd (stable) and set it up after reading the man pages on my
gateway box.  I can get an IP on the guest machine, but no dns (I'm looking
at /etc/resolv.conf).

two questions are:  am I even close to having a working dhcpd.conf &
dhcp(default) on my gateway box?
am I missing something obvious on the guest's /etc/network/interfaces file?

I have a poor understanding of tcp/ip and networking in general.  Any help is
most welcome.

tia

$less /etc/dhcpd.conf from GATEWAY box

# dhcpd.conf
# Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
# option definitions common to all supported networks...

##GOAL: provide max of 4 IP's to guest machines
##that don't conflict with static IP's already on LAN.
##Provide DNS the gateway box gets from its dhcp for IP/DNS from ISP.

option domain-name "sd.cox.net";
option domain-name-servers 68.6.16.30 , 68.2.16.30;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 192.168.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 192.168.10.11 192.168.10.14;
	option broadcast-address 192.168.10.255;
	option routers 192.168.10.1;
        }

$less /etc/default/dhcp from GATEWAY box.

# Defaults for dhcp initscript
# sourced by /etc/init.d/dhcp
# installed at /etc/default/dhcp by the maintainer scripts

#
# This is a POSIX shell fragment
#

# On what interfaces should the DHCP server (dhcpd) serve DHCP requests?
#       Separate multiple interfaces with spaces, e.g. "eth0 eth1".
INTERFACES="eth1"

$less /etc/network/interfaces on GUEST box

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!