Re: Can't change to 1024x768

Michael D. Crawford said:
> It turned out I got what I wanted when I removed all the available
> resolutions but 1024x768.  Before I had also included 800x600 and
> 640x480.
>
> I'm still curious to know how the default resolution gets set though.
>
> Also, my #1 wish for XFree86 is to be able to dynamically change the
> resolution while keeping the desktop the same size as the resolution.
> This seems to be architecturally impossible for X11, but both Microsoft
> Windows and Mac OS can do it.  This is a different thing from having a
> virtual desktop that's larger than the physical resolution.

in my experience with Xfree 3 and 4, the default resolution is
always set by the first mode the config file specifies. that is
if you have 1024x76 800x600 640x40 it will start with 1024x768.
if you have 640x480 800x600 1024x768 it usually starts with 640x480
with a virtual resolution(or virtual desktop?) of 1024x768.

which is why I didn't respond to your mail since your situation
seemed very strange, not something I have ever encountered, but
also I have never used the framebuffer X server so things may
be a bit different since the framebuffer is usually configured
upon boot. I do remmeber a co worker at another company I used
to work at had what I would call a shitbox, with a $60 all in
one motherboard, he put linux on it(the system came with some
custom linux), with framebuffer, and X was locked into the
same resolution as was configured by the kernel at boot I believe
(this was over 2 years ago, so I think things may of changed
in that area since).

Now if you were using a display manager such as KDM the
X configuration file does not get re-processed unless the X
server is restarted, just logging out of the window manager
or desktop enviornment doesn't prompt X to reload the
config file, at least in KDM's case you either have to
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, or use the "restart X server" menu
option in KDM. Not sure about XDM or GDM, been a while
since I've used either.

as for changing resolutions on the fly, I haven't really done
it for the desktop itself rather I do it for games or video
apps that go "full screen", in which case it always maintains
a 1:1 ratio desktop:resolution for me ..

these apps may do something special to make this happen though.

nate