Re: Weird lilo problem

Larry Smith wrote:

to Rox:
--- Rox de Gabba <rok.ruzic@telemach.net> wrote:
Yes, i adjust the vmlinuz and other symlinks in /
and adjust my lilo conf accordingly. But when i run lilo on a kernel other then the bf24 kernel from the install cd it doesn't work. When i boot into that kernel it works, i don't have to edit my /etc/lilo.conf or do anything to symlinks in / , i simply get root prompt, run lilo and reboot and it works. On other kernels it hangs.

So you:
1) Generate a new kernel

2) Copy the bzImage file to /boot (by some name)

3) Make a link in root to link to /boot kernel

4) Make reference in lilo.conf to the name in root

5) Run lilo (as root), to write new boot record (by
the way, I assume on this step no errors pop up?)

6) Reboot.

I never get to select anything, it hangs just before it should show the boot menu.

And when you
1) Select old cd kernel from lilo, it will boot.

2) Select new kernel from lilo, it fails. In fact,
just goes into a loop list the same couple of
characters over and over.

That kind of sounds like it either doesn't find the
link name in root (though I'd think that would show up
when you ran lilo to install the boot record), or
something is entirely wrong with the new kernel. Usually a bad kernel will get started booting at
least.

I've only had the symptom you describe when I tried to
boot to a partition beyond the 1st 1023 cylinders, or
to a scsi drive that wasn't in the cmos.

Did I get the procedures and symptoms right?
You got everything else right except that it hangs when it should display the boot menu, it doesn't display the menu at all. And when i do the rescue manouver on the old bz24 kernel and rerun lilo without any changes in lilo.conf and symlinks in / whatsoever, it works. It seems to me like the kernel has some problems writing to the boot sector or something. I recompiled the thing several times, going very carefully through the make menuconfig step and i didn't find any partition or any other normal disk supports turned off or modulized.