idiot's guide to X, gnome (or kde) & window managers

Hm.  Open source is wonderful but its documentation isn't always as
obvious for a luser as it might be.

I've set up xfree86 on my server and had lots of trouble with X
installation, I think the Woody upgrade probably breaks some
dependencies as there's one other prior thread in the archives about
this.  Anyway, purging the packages with dkpg and reinstalling them
stopped it complaining about fonts and have it just about working
with svga and ps/aux mouse.  I'm starting with startx and it's
defaulting to gnome desktop and twm window manager which isn't really
what I wanted.  However, it's still doing very odd things.

Going to the Xwindow configuration through gnome says that it's in
standard-VESA mode at 1024x768 and using a PS/2 mouse all of which is
what I wanted and took some achieving.  The odd thing is that the
mouse handling is hopeless: the mouse pointer jumps all over the show
each time it selects something.  I think something's badly wrong with
the focus handling.  Clues seem to be messages saying:
Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x2c000*** unexpectedly destroyed
on quitting (the hex digits are different and there are six of those
lines showing.

Other oddities are:
a) that gnome doesn't like either twm or Ice WM - what wm should I
use? and how do I set it and remove the others?  (I though dselect
said they were gnome compliant)
b) a complaint about my locales: where are they set?
c) XFree86.0.log has stopped updating so no information there since I
reinstalled.  How do I get it going again?!

Help please!PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry,
Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org