OT: jobname xterm title in bash?

I'd like to be able to use bash to dynamically print the current job
name as the xterm title.  The xterm-title mini-howto says this is a
"thorny problem" in any shell other than zsh:

 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Xterm-Title-5.html

This thread in the bug-bash archives offers a solution, but I don't
understand it:

 http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/342/2001/2/0/5231415/

Maybe someone on the debian-user list can make sense of those
instructions.

The mini-howto was last updated in 1999, so maybe it's now possible to
do it in bash? I guess if no one here knows, I'll look for a bash
mailing list, but there's a lot of knowledgeable people on this list.

Anyone know how to do it?

--
 .~.
 /V\   Lance Simmons