video drivers for ati radeon 7000

I am attempting to find and install a video driver for the radeon 7000 pci card.
I found in the debian docs area that it should be supported with "radeon" driver.

I have X currently running with "vesa" however it has great limitations.
The radeon replaced my rivaTNT that I despised as a video card.

I am using Libranet 2. I know I know its not pure debian etc but this is where I have been told to get help as it is based on debian.

Anyway when I put the radeon entry into the XF86Config-4 it tells me that radeon cannot be found.

anyhelp would be much appreciated as I do not want to run a non debian OS.

Thanks