Re: Conecting with xhost

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:04:10PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> chainy <chainy@infonegocio.com> writes:
> > This must be something really easy, but i can't find the solution.
> >
> > Each time i try to edit a file with emacs the xterm dumps this:
> >
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> > emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
> > Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
> > Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
> > connections from your machine.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Are you trying to do this from another machine?  If so, make sure
> you're using 'ssh -X' to connect to the other machine.  Are you trying
> to edit a file as root?  Probably the easiest fix is to set the
> XAUTHORITY environment variable to point at the .Xauthority file in
> your mortal user's home directory.  But both of these questions have
> been asked dozens of times in the past month or so; check the
> debian-user archives at http://lists.debian.org/ for previous answers.

Note that setting the XAUTHORITY environment variable should happen
automatically, which is something only mentioned rarely in those dozens
of discussions. This means that just using 'su' (not 'su -') to become
root should allow you to use X.
See for example:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200207/msg00292.html

For those of you who will respond "no, it doesn't," please explain why
It Works For Me, and when it doesn't work. I'm genuinely curious.

--
Note that I use Debian version testing/unstable
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz5 #1 Sun Jun 2 15:16:44 CEST 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands