Re: Setting environment: $LC_*, $LANG, LC_ALL, LANGUAGE

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 10:00:48AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 16-Aug-2002 James Hughes wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After a recent upgrade, some applications are complaining about
> > certain environment variables not being set. Specifically, man
> > complains "can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are
> > correct", and perl prints the following:
> >
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >         LANGUAGE = (unset),
> >         LC_ALL = (unset),
> >         LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
> >     are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
> >
> > I guess the two main offenders would be LANGUAGE and LC_ALL. What are
> > reasonable values to set these variables to?
> >

> look at /etc/locale.gen.  You most likely have a defined locale but do not have
> it enabled.

First, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed responses to this
question. I seem to have fixed this problem: maybe you can tell me if
I've done "the right thing".

Poking around in the package lists, I noticed the "locales" package:
support files & programs for glibc. I installed it; I had it install
the "en_US.UTF-8" locale; and when it asked me
what I wanted to set the default locale to, I played it safe and
answered "C". Perl and man and presumably all the other programs that
were complaining are now silent.

(hmmm, the ubiqitous "Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C
library" that I've gotten so used to from gtk+ programs is still
there, though...)

Thanks,
James