Re: CUPS

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> I just installed CUPS (after seeing some good opinions in an other
> thread) very easily!  But I would now like to print from other
> computers in my network to it.

apt-get install cupsys-client

on the other machines.

The way it then worked with my (very small) LAN is that the printer was
automatically recognised by remote machines, and 'lp' just printed to it!

As the Administrators Manual says:

Automatic Configuration of Print Queues

CUPS supports automatic client configuration of printers on the same
subnet. To configure printers on the same subnet, do nothing. Each client
should see the available printers within 30 seconds automatically. The
printer and class lists are updated automatically as printers and servers
are added or removed.

I f[i|ou]nd that pretty amazing!

The CUPS documentation _says_ that it provides both 'lp' and 'lpr' but, at
least here, it didn't, so, since I no longer needed lpr, I removed it, and
created a symlink from /usr/bin/lpr pointing at /usr/bin/lp (although the
thread about /etc/alternatives suggests to me that there was a more Debian
way to do it).  So far, I haven't run into any problems doing that,
although there are surely command-line incompatabilities between lp and
lpr.

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*