Re: Setting X-Windows/Blackbox Resolutions and Color Depth

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:46:41 +0000
"Doug MacFarlane" <madmac@covad.net> wrote:

> I'm running Debian 3.0 r0 with Blackbox X-Windows Manager.
>
> XF86Config-4 has a large number of "Display" SubSections in the "Screen"
> section, one for each pixel-depth from 1 to 32, and modes from
> "1280x1024" to "640x480".
>
> How does one pick which of these is the running configuration?

The key is "DefaultDepth" as shown in the following:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Display 1"
        Device     "MATROX CARD 1"
        Monitor    "Display 1"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"

> The "ServerLayout" section has a
>
> 	Screen   "Default Screen"
>
> entry, but how does the Default Screen get set?

This is a name given to one of your screen configurations.  It could just
as well be called "Fred" or "Wilma". For example:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Display 1"

and
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Matrox PowerDesk configured."
        Screen         "Display 1" LeftOf "Display 2"

> Also, how does one set the default font/font-size?

By size are you referring to to DPI or actual font sizes like 10 or 14?

> As crummy as M$ WinBlows is, right-clicking the desktop, selecting
> properties, and settings, avails one of all three of these options . . .

The X display settings are system wide, and thus something that normal
users do not, and should not, have the ability to change.  Perhaps a good
case could be made for these being a per-user setting, but I'd bet a fair
counter argument could be made for them to remain system wide too.

> There has to be an X equivalent . . . doesn't there?

Nope, not necessarily.  Though Matrox is trying with their powerdesk app.

--
Jamin W. Collins