lpr -d doesn't work

What's the official Debian way to install a DVI filter for lpr so that
'lpr  -d' (which, BTW,  is the  default print  command under  my Emacs
LaTeX-mode and Debian/stable teTeX) actually works, instead of saying:

lpd[19586]: lp: no filter found in printcap for format character 'd'

?  Presumably I  need to  hack my  /etc/printcap, gah.  If  there's no
debianized utility which will do  that for me, can somebody supply the
missing line?  This is on  a PostScript-capable HP LaserJet  6MP. (Yes,
I've read printcap(5)..)

-chris