Re: startx configuration

* Xida Chen (xdchen@hotmail.com) [020815 14:02]:
> whenever i type startx in the console i got KDE fired up. what controls
> this behavior? i have no .xinitrc .xsession .xserver file in my home dir.
> and in the system-wide configuration of these three files, i dont see any
> lines which invokes KDE either (such as exec blah). what makes KDE start
> up? and how do i change this? to make gnome start up by default?

try the following:

update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

The defaults are invoked by /etc/X11/Xsession, which in turn makes use
of the fragments in /etc/X11/Xsession.d .  Therein,
50xfree86-common_determinte-startup invokes the default session manager,
if defined, or else the default window manager, as configured by the
commands I listed above.

If you only wish to change the settings for your account, and not the
system-wide default, you'll want to customize your ~/.Xsession file
instead.  It's worth mentioning that where I say 'customize' above, I
really mean 'create', if you have not already done so in the past.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/